I have had some ideas what I wanted to do along time ago on this costume. Just never got around to doing it. Well I finally got the opportunity to do it now.
I bought some material awhile back for this costume that I have been saving for with many ideas.
I used some of the pattern my Little Mermaid Disney Princess Costume, McCalls 5498. I changed it to my liking and added things from my vision to make it my own.
First had to cut all the pieces out. The blue scale like material did not have any stretch to it. Which made it quite difficult for the look that I wanted. The material was a netting with the shiny foil like scales so pulled apart it would run the netting. Which was way bad, plus you could see through it also. I decided to line it with white cotton. one to hold it into place and you wouldn’t be able to see through it now.
I also needed to sew the edges so it wouldn’t run either.
For the my tail I wanted some contrast color so I did purple. This material was to light and was stretchy and I needed more substance.
So I found this netting with glitter in it to one give it substance and flash at the same time.
I sewn this on several time and rolled the hem also to make it have a little weight on the bottom hem.
Tulle what a chore to work with, especially when you have so much of it in such a small space. I used 14 yards of it, I made lots of layers and then basted it all together. One for each side and then a smaller one in the back. It was so much I had to sew it on by hand to get it placed just so.
After sewing it by hand I decided to also sew it with the machine to make sure it was really attached well.
Now I needed to make sure that the tulle would fall it the right places and not drag on the ground. So I put it on my body form and cut it to the correct length.