Open post

Elizabethan carnival costume

This was a very detail costume. This costume took three months to make, off and on. I used simplicity pattern 8881, this pattern was an easy pattern but I didn’t like how some of the directions on the bodice were telling me to do it.

I changed several things and didn’t put all the boning in the bodice. They didn’t have a piece for the back placket either, which I made my own.

For the hoop it was kind of not big enough for me so I added more length in each hoop pieces, so the cercumfernce was larger.

For the sleeves, I wanted it to be less tight Around my biceps and arm pits, so I cut the inner sleeve out and just used attached the puffy sleeve part to the arm opening.

For this costume I started a while back and only had the sleeves done. It’s been a while and I have gained weight so I needed to take them apart. I needed to give myself more room, plus I needed to making a sleeve lining due to all those pearls being sew on.

image image

Now I hand sewn on each sequence one at a time with a very small bead in the middle.

imageimage

Next iI moved onto the bodice.  The bodice has three layers for the boning to be inserted then sewn in.  It said to put a lot more I decided to only put three in the front and followed the rest on each bodice piece.

imageBack bodice

After that I needed to cut the top layer for the bodice and then baste stitched on. I then used material paint and outlined the pattern. Once this dried I sewn on once again sequence by hand.

Basted top material onimage

I made my own bias tape so it will match my skirt.

image

Once I finished this it started to come together.

 

image

 

Scroll to top