Open post

Elizabethan carnival costume

This was a very detail costume. This costume took three months to make, off and on. I used simplicity pattern 8881, this pattern was an easy pattern but I didn’t like how some of the directions on the bodice were telling me to do it.

I changed several things and didn’t put all the boning in the bodice. They didn’t have a piece for the back placket either, which I made my own.

For the hoop it was kind of not big enough for me so I added more length in each hoop pieces, so the cercumfernce was larger.

For the sleeves, I wanted it to be less tight Around my biceps and arm pits, so I cut the inner sleeve out and just used attached the puffy sleeve part to the arm opening.

For this costume I started a while back and only had the sleeves done. It’s been a while and I have gained weight so I needed to take them apart. I needed to give myself more room, plus I needed to making a sleeve lining due to all those pearls being sew on.

image image

Now I hand sewn on each sequence one at a time with a very small bead in the middle.

imageimage

Next iI moved onto the bodice.  The bodice has three layers for the boning to be inserted then sewn in.  It said to put a lot more I decided to only put three in the front and followed the rest on each bodice piece.

imageBack bodice

After that I needed to cut the top layer for the bodice and then baste stitched on. I then used material paint and outlined the pattern. Once this dried I sewn on once again sequence by hand.

Basted top material onimage

I made my own bias tape so it will match my skirt.

image

Once I finished this it started to come together.

 

image

 

Open post

Started Mermaid Costume

I have had some ideas what I wanted to do along time ago on this costume.  Just never got around to doing it. Well I finally got the opportunity to do it now.

I bought some material awhile back for this costume that I have been saving for with many ideas.

I used some of the pattern my Little Mermaid Disney Princess Costume, McCalls 5498.  I changed it to my liking and added things from my vision to make it my own.

First had to cut all the pieces out. The  blue scale like material did not have any stretch to it.  Which made it quite difficult for the look that I wanted. The material was a netting with the shiny foil like scales so pulled apart it would run the netting. Which was way bad, plus you could see through it also.  I decided to line it with white cotton. one to hold it into place and you wouldn’t be able to see through it now.

I also needed to sew the edges so it wouldn’t run either.

For the my tail I wanted some contrast color so I did purple.  This material was to light and was stretchy and I needed more substance.

purplemtl

So I found this netting with glitter in it to one give it substance and flash at the same time.

sparklynetting2materials

 

sewing2mtl

 

 

It was quite a challenge to get it to lay right and sew it on.

I sewn this on several time and rolled the hem also to make it have a little weight on the bottom hem.

 

 

 

 

bastetully

Next I needed figure out how can I walk in it normal but also look like a mermaid tail.  I came up with an idea of using Tulle underneath the tail.

Tulle what a chore to work with, especially when you have so much of it in such a small space.  I used 14 yards of it, I made lots of layers and then basted it all together.  One for each side and then a smaller one in the back.  It was so much I had to sew it on by hand to get it placed just so.

bastedtullyfirst

After sewing it by hand I decided to also sew it with the machine to make sure it was really attached well.

sewonbyhand

addtully

 

 

 

Now I needed to make sure that the tulle would fall it the right places and not drag on the ground.  So I put it on my body form and cut it to the correct length.

 

 

 

Scroll to top