Open post

Mermaid Headdress

First I took some wire and started making a headband to form  the size of my head.  After I did that I took some really small wire to wrap around all of the pieces to hold them on and to make the headdress stronger.  I decided I wanted to make fins to cover up my real ears when I wore this.headdresswrap

Once I finished wrapping all the wire tight around to hold the loose pieces together. I took some foamies and cut strips to wrap around the wire itself.

Just by accident I got the adhesive kind which worked out pretty good, until the next morning. The ends of the foam strips need to be glued down at each end.  After wrapping each one I started hot glue the ends down onto itself. When I was finished it looked like this.

wirewithfoam

Then I started to cover it with buckram material so it would be able to hold up all the stuff I wanted to decorate it with.

coverfoamI needed to cover up the foam pieces that you were going to see somewhat so I wrapped ribbon around them.

 

 

 

addingbuckram

 

This was very trying at times.  To make it fit I had to cut strips in the material to make it more flexible to the headdress.

 

 

gluedeachpieace

 

 

 

I used hot glue to hold the seams together and then added the back piece fit which was going to be my decorating piece.

 

 

 

 

cuttingbuckramslits

 

I made a pattern out of buckram on how I wanted to design it.

 

 

 

addingcotton

 

 

When the whole thing was covered in buckram I covered it with white cotton material to cover up the buckram material. I used the hot glue gun to keep this on. a lot faster then sewing it by hand.  For the wire showing on the fins I decided to paint those purple.

 

earseingmtl

 

 

To make them look realistic I took the same kind of material from the mermaid fin dress and added it to this ear.  I had to sew it on by hand around the wire.  After that I cut the edges off to the correct shape of fin.

 

 

 

 

earfin

 

 

 

When I finished this is what the looked like

 

 

 

 

 

I cut out a pattern of the same body material to the headdress. I glued all those pieces on to cover the white material. Now it was time to start painting shells and picking the layout I was going to do. This is the start of my headdress but have a lot more to go on it.

mermaidheaddressworking

 

Finally finished my headdress and this is what it turned out to look like.

headdressmermaid

Open post

Started Mermaid Costume

I have had some ideas what I wanted to do along time ago on this costume.  Just never got around to doing it. Well I finally got the opportunity to do it now.

I bought some material awhile back for this costume that I have been saving for with many ideas.

I used some of the pattern my Little Mermaid Disney Princess Costume, McCalls 5498.  I changed it to my liking and added things from my vision to make it my own.

First had to cut all the pieces out. The  blue scale like material did not have any stretch to it.  Which made it quite difficult for the look that I wanted. The material was a netting with the shiny foil like scales so pulled apart it would run the netting. Which was way bad, plus you could see through it also.  I decided to line it with white cotton. one to hold it into place and you wouldn’t be able to see through it now.

I also needed to sew the edges so it wouldn’t run either.

For the my tail I wanted some contrast color so I did purple.  This material was to light and was stretchy and I needed more substance.

purplemtl

So I found this netting with glitter in it to one give it substance and flash at the same time.

sparklynetting2materials

 

sewing2mtl

 

 

It was quite a challenge to get it to lay right and sew it on.

I sewn this on several time and rolled the hem also to make it have a little weight on the bottom hem.

 

 

 

 

bastetully

Next I needed figure out how can I walk in it normal but also look like a mermaid tail.  I came up with an idea of using Tulle underneath the tail.

Tulle what a chore to work with, especially when you have so much of it in such a small space.  I used 14 yards of it, I made lots of layers and then basted it all together.  One for each side and then a smaller one in the back.  It was so much I had to sew it on by hand to get it placed just so.

bastedtullyfirst

After sewing it by hand I decided to also sew it with the machine to make sure it was really attached well.

sewonbyhand

addtully

 

 

 

Now I needed to make sure that the tulle would fall it the right places and not drag on the ground.  So I put it on my body form and cut it to the correct length.

 

 

 

Scroll to top